Home » Burglar Alarms
Category Archives: Burglar Alarms
With Google Home and the new Alarm.com Action, you can ask your AFS Revolution Security System to perform a number of automation commands or check the status of smart home devices.
Simply tell Google to perform any of the following:
- Turn on the living room lights
- Lock the front door
- Turn down the thermostat to 68 degrees
- Arm Stay the security system
- Open the garage door*
- Disarm my system*
You can also ask Google any of the following:
- Are all the doors locked?
- What’s the temperature in the living room?
- Is my security system armed or disarmed?
- Is my garage door closed?
For more information on how to set your system up with Google Home, check out this handy article.
* The user is required to say a 4-digit pin code to disarm the system, unlock the door and open the garage door.
You can now increase awareness around your home or businesses major access points with an AFS Revolution doorbell sensor. The AFS Revolution doorbell sensor can integrate with other security devices for a smarter integrated solution.
With the AFS Revolution Doorbell Sensor you can:
- Receive notification when the doorbell sensor rings
- Automate lights when the doorbell sensor rings
- Capture video clips when the doorbell sensor rings
For more information or to order a doorbell sensor call (937) 262-7937 or visit our web site today!
It has recently come to our attention via several postings on security boards and blogs that a few alarm companies are trying to “trick” homeowners into thinking that their current alarm company is out of business.
Here’s an example of what’s happening:
You will receive a phone call or possibly an unannounced home visit stating that XYZ alarm company has acquired your current alarm company and will need to reprogram your alarm system.
What you should do if this happens?:
1) If they call, take down the company name and number. Let them know you will call back when you have time to talk. If they stop in for an unannounced visit ask for some information on the company and tell them you will get back with them when you have the time to talk.
2) Contact your current alarm company to find out if this information is true. Normally, you would be notified of a change like this by mail or telephone, not by an unannounced visit or phone call by a representative from another company.
What if I fell for their scam?:
According to Ken Kirschenbaum, Esq:
1) A subscriber fraudulently induced to sign an alarm contract can have it nullified and can get out any time prior to ratification after the fraud is discovered.
2) If you have an existing contract with your alarm company, it can still be enforced.
For more information on this topic give us a call today at (937) 262-7937 or visit our web site!
The AFS Revolution, powered by Alarm.com, is the only interactive security and home automation platform to fully integrate with LiftMaster® brand garage door openers. Now, you can remotely manage your garage door activity from anywhere in the world!
-Check to see if garage doors are closed
-Remotely open and close garage doors
-Automatically have garage doors close when system is armed
-Receive alerts if garage doors are left open
For more information call (937) 262-7937 or visit our web site today!
Your friends at American Fire & Security / The Security Girl would like to wish you SAFE, happy, healthy and successful 2013! This is also a great time to make a commitment to keep your business & home as as safe as possible by planning ahead.
We would like to offer some safety tips for your business & home so you can start off your 2013 as safe as possible!
TIPS FOR YOUR BUSINESS
1. Create a library of safety tips (seasonal/holiday activities, driving, proper cell phone usage, etc.). Make information available to employees. Post topics on bulletin boards,create flyers, or include as paycheck suffers.
2.If your business has a safe be sure to anchor your safe into ground/walls, etc., and always change the safe combination when a safe combination holding employee leaves.
3. Post police and emergency telephone numbers in a conspicuous location so they will be readily available during an emergency.
TIPS FOR YOUR HOME
1. Create a family escape plan in case of a fire or other emergency. Be sure to practice it regularly.
2. Don’t leave extra keys under doormats, potted plants or any other obvious outdoor location. Place the keys in an outdoor KeySafe, or give a set to a neighbor you can trust.
3. Make sure at least one person in your household is properly trained in First Aid & CPR so they have the knowledge and confidence to to respond in a potentially life threatening situation.
For more information on how to Resolve to be safe in 2013 contact American Fire & Security today at (937) 262-7937 or toll free at (877) 237-8918.
The Security Girl
The AFS Revolution, manufactured by 2GIG Technologies, was chosen as the best alarm equipment and the overall winner at The Electronic Security Expo 2012!!
For years we have all had the same “basic” keypad in our business. Now DSC as well as several other manufacturers have come out with a Touchscreen Keypad for your businesses alarm system.
The slim modern looking design and the ease of use of the touchscreen are just a few of the nice features that DSC has added to their new touchscreen keypads. However, my favorite feature of this keypad is that you can use it as a photo album, meaning you can actually use it to display your new products or other photos you would want your customers to see while they were waiting in your office or lobby.
I also like that you can also customize your home screens so that the most used functions of your alarm system are easily accessible.
Below you will find a list if features that DSC highlights on their web page:
- 7″ full color display
- Slim modern design (800×480 resolution)
- Intuitive LED indication of security system status
- Picture frame feature
- Clock feature
- Output control
- Intuitive user interface
- Customizable home screen and wallpaper
- Menu user programming
- Installer programming
- Virtual keypad
- SD card
- Digital picture frame mode
If your business is looking to upgrade the look and feel of their alarm system this keypad is compatible with the following DSC models: PC1864, PC1832, PC1616 and is available in English, French, and Spanish.
For more information on how to upgrade your DSC Security Alarm System keypad contact American Fire & Security today at (937) 262-7937 or toll free at (877) 237-8918.
The Security Girl
As a business owner every part of your business is something that you have worked hard for and take great pride in. With that being said, then why do you wait until it’s too late to protect your most valued possessions?
Dave, a small business owner from Cincinnati Ohio, just asked me the same question after thieves wreaked havoc on his business by taking all of the wire, copper, and air conditioning unit from the fenced in area in the back of his building. Lucky for Dave one of his employees caught the thieves and they were taken into police custody. However, the damage had already been done to his business as well as several other business in the area and now these business will be spending thousands of dollars to fix, replace or repair what it only took minutes for someone to destroy.
The would be copper thieves are not just hitting small business either. They are also targeting churches, hotels, farms and schools. In the recent past, one Alabama church had its air conditioning units stolen twice in 10 days. Each time, thieves got about $300 worth of copper, and the church had to pay more than $3,000 for replacements. A church in Detroit, Michigan, spent more than $50,000 to replace heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) units damaged by copper thieves.
At this point your probably asking yourself how you can prevent or detour this from happening to your business right? Well there are several solutions.
1) If your business has an outside storage area like Dave’s make sure that the area is well light. I know that seems obvious, but most thieves think if there is a risk of them being caught they will move on to another business that they may not be caught as easily.
2) Make sure that the exterior of your building has a security camera system. If thieves should wreak havoc on your business you need to make sure you have something of forensic evidence to give to the authorities.
3) Have your alarm company install a motion sensor on your air conditioning unit so if it is being tampered with an alarm will sound and the police will be dispatched right away. Plus the would be thieves are likely to leave without your air conditioner if the alarm sounds instead of trying to continue stealing it.
4) Make sure your tools, ladders and step stools are placed inside the building each night. You don’t want to make it easier for the thieves to have access to your assets.
If you would like to talk more about protecting your business from would be thieves wreaking havoc on your business talk to your safety coordinator or call American Fire & Security at 877-237-8918.
The Security Girl
The destruction left behind by copper thieves.
One of the biggest complaints we hear from business owners is false alarms. Most cities will fine your business if they have too many false alarms, which is an unnecessary cost for your business.
Here are some tips to help reduce the number of false alarms your business has:
1) Train all employees on how to use your alarm system correctly.
2) Hold regularly scheduled trainings for your employees to ensure that your employees are aware of any changes to your alarm system. For example: A change in your alarm pass code.
3) Move hanging objects away from motion detectors and sensors.
4) Make sure all doors and windows are locked/secure before arming your system.
5) Be aware of holiday related false alarms due to untrained seasonal or temporary help.
6) Carelessness due to long hours or office parties.
7) Inform your alarm company of any change in pass codes and of new or unauthorized users.
8) Service and maintain your alarm system regularly before a false alarm occurs. I recommend that your have your alarm company test your system annually to help prevent false alarms.
If there is a question as to weather or not your security system is working properly contact your alarm monitoring company immediately and have them check the status of your alarm system and devices. Also, be sure to upgrade your alarm panel every seven to ten years to make sure your business has the best alarm system possible.
If you have a question about any of the above listed tips please contact your alarm monitoring company or American Fire and Security at 877-237-8918.
The Security Girl